Friday, September 24, 2004

Deciding if Day Treatment really is the best idea...or not....hard choices to make.

I really hope we can stop all meds eventually and this is another reason I would like the intensive support that day treatment might offer.

I wish this was an easier decision to make. Part of me feels that with the support and help of the day treatment and the fact that next summer would not include the viod this one did perhaps she and I would have more Quality time together...... I feel sort of on the spot with DH as he does tell me that he will not override the decission I make....which seems unfair for me because then It is ultamatily all on my shoulders.... Another thought I have is that I could become more active with the Homeschool families and perhaps provide some social outlet for her there.

Right now Makala does not appear to be making friendships. She talks about children she likes and plays with at school....however the children appear to be uninterested in play dates or being friends outside of school. She has NOT been invited to a birthday party or play date in nearly a year and we only had two children willing to attend her birthday party last Feb....

Of course, I don't remember my other children having huge friendships in the first grade not really strong outside of school anyway--but they both have the SAME friends today that they made in First grade. They were involved in more activities then Makala has been scouts, and community center activities.... Tori had some significant social problems in early grade school because she skipped Kindergarten and was TAG (talented and gifted) and socailly did not interact with children at the same age.... but, Tori has always been an odd duck and very selective with her friendships. Both of my older ones were reading in first grade and sort of odd balls......still are actually. Tori will have her BS degree two months after she turns 20!!!!! my oldest son is starting his Masters and he just turned 21 so both of them had less concern about other kids--they both have the kinds of friendships that last a lifetime. But were and still are socially strange.... My husband cannot get over how odd they really are.... he thinks it is strange they never rebelled and that they dont seem to care about the things most young people do.... I wish I could take some credit for their sucess but I think it is their nature. Weird kids I suppose I don't know how it happened? After living the life I gave them I sometimes wonder? It is pretty sad when your children are smarter then you are by the age of 10! We just never really had a problem with them....never had to tell them what to do..... my oldest son got his Eagle Scout in the middle of his parents divorce! I suppose they spoiled me and made me think i was a better mom then I actually am.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Memories -- Blog Tags

abuse (1) acceptance (3) adoptee (1) Adoption (1) Adoption Committee (1) Adoptive Parent (3) AdoptiveParentsNetwork.com (2) Advocate (4) Alcohol-Related Neurodevelopmental Disorders (ARND) (18) anxiety (2) At Risk (1) Attachment (3) Attachment Disorder (2) Attachment Therapy (AT) (10) Attorney (1) Behaviors (2) Bill of Rights for Children's Mental Health Disorders and their Families (1) birth mom (5) boundaries (4) Case Worker (3) Child Identification (1) Child Rights (1) Christian (1) Christmas 2008 (1) communication (1) consequences (4) Contact (1) DHS (4) diagnosis (4) Disruption (2) Dissolution (1) divorce (3) documentation (1) domestic violence (3) door alarm (2) DSM IV (1) eating disorders (1) employment (2) Family (2) family preservation (2) FASD Resource (2) Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders (FASD) (24) foster family (3) Foster Home (3) Fund Raisers (2) Funding (1) goodbye (2) grief (3) home (3) Home Study (1) honeymoon (2) impulsive behaviors (3) Individual Education Plan (IEP) (15) loss (2) Marty (4) Medicaid (1) medication (6) mental health (4) mental health services (2) Missing Children (2) Mt Hood Oregon (2) Nancy Thomas (1) negative attention (3) Neurobiology (1) Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) (2) oxytocin (1) Parent Advocate (2) Parental Rights (1) parenting (4) police (2) Post Adoption Family Therapy (1) Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) (1) processing (3) propaganda (2) RAD Cult (6) RAD Mom (7) RAD Research (2) Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD) (23) Research (8) Residential Treatment Center (1) Residential Treatment Center (RTC) (3) Resource (9) Respite (1) Safety (1) School (10) Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) (1) secondary behavior (1) Services (1) sexualized behaviors (4) short term memory (1) social (2) special education (7) Special Needs (2) Statewide Action for Family Empowerment (SAFE) (1) stealing (1) symptoms (2) tantrums and rages (4) Termination of Parental Rights (TPR) (1) The Brain (2) therapist (4) time outs (4) transition (8) Triangulation (1) Trust (1) Understanding Attachment (1) Understanding FASD (6) vacation (6) violence (2) Washington (2) website (8) When Love Is Not Enough (1) wraparound (1)