Saturday, July 19, 2008

Fireworks for the 4th -- Illinois Vacation Memories

My family and friends know that my favorite holiday is the Forth of July! To me there is nothing better than the heat of summer, a huge family barbeque followed by the pops, bangs and delight of exploding fireworks!




This year was especially fun since I haven't spent a 4th of July with my family in so many years I don't dare try to add them up but, would guess it may have been 1981 the last time I was with My People on this most awesome day we celebrate the birth of the United States and what it means to have the freedom we do.

Between thunderstorms and tornado warnings the day turned out just perfect! The children were able to enjoy playing with Sparklers that are hard to come by on the West Coast with all the risk of wild fire. Not in Southern Illinois however! And not only did the children have fun with the sparklers--but, they had fun will the really good ones!

The last 10 years I have spent this holiday with my husbands immigrant family. The came from Austria to Canada after World War II and then moved to the US when my husband was a teenager. I have missed this holiday with my own family as our roots go all the way back to the very birth of this country and spending my Independence day with immigrants has been interesting to say the least. Especially when my mother-in-law's idea of potato salad is far from the version my mommy makes!

The day turned out perfect and Mom's Potato Salad and Backed Beans filled my tummy and heart with the childhood memories I have so long ago forgotten. It was nice to share a non-major holiday with MY FAMILY and remember some of the small traditions we had that I lost track of over the years. I made an all day video of everyone that needs to be edited because my brother Jamie felt the need to Moon the Camera (I have threatened to upload it someplace on the Internet since he has spent his entire life mooning me any chance he can get!) and I will need to edit out the part where Aunt Terrie (the ministers wife) does her little routine and it could be viewed as somewhat inappropriate (actually only in the context of the fact she was a minister's wife ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment

New Memories -- Blog Tags

abuse (1) acceptance (3) adoptee (1) Adoption (1) Adoption Committee (1) Adoptive Parent (3) AdoptiveParentsNetwork.com (3) Advocate (4) Alcohol-Related Neurodevelopmental Disorders (ARND) (18) anxiety (2) At Risk (1) Attachment (3) Attachment Disorder (2) Attachment Therapy (AT) (10) Attorney (1) Behaviors (2) Bill of Rights for Children's Mental Health Disorders and their Families (1) birth mom (5) boundaries (4) Case Worker (3) Child Identification (1) Child Rights (1) Christian (1) Christmas 2008 (1) communication (1) consequences (4) Contact (1) DHS (4) diagnosis (4) Disruption (2) Dissolution (1) divorce (3) documentation (1) domestic violence (3) door alarm (2) DSM IV (1) eating disorders (1) employment (2) Family (2) family preservation (2) FASD Resource (2) Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders (FASD) (24) foster family (3) Foster Home (3) Fund Raisers (2) Funding (1) goodbye (2) grief (3) home (3) Home Study (1) honeymoon (2) impulsive behaviors (3) Individual Education Plan (IEP) (15) loss (2) Marty (4) Medicaid (1) medication (6) mental health (4) mental health services (2) Missing Children (2) Mt Hood Oregon (2) Nancy Thomas (1) negative attention (3) Neurobiology (1) Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) (2) oxytocin (1) Parent Advocate (2) Parental Rights (1) parenting (4) police (2) Post Adoption Family Therapy (1) Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) (1) processing (3) propaganda (2) RAD Cult (6) RAD Mom (7) RAD Research (2) Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD) (23) Research (8) Residential Treatment Center (1) Residential Treatment Center (RTC) (3) Resource (9) Respite (1) Safety (1) School (10) Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) (1) secondary behavior (1) Services (1) sexualized behaviors (4) short term memory (1) social (2) special education (7) Special Needs (2) Statewide Action for Family Empowerment (SAFE) (1) stealing (1) symptoms (2) tantrums and rages (4) Termination of Parental Rights (TPR) (1) The Brain (2) therapist (4) time outs (4) transition (8) Triangulation (1) Trust (1) Understanding Attachment (1) Understanding FASD (6) vacation (6) violence (2) Washington (2) website (9) When Love Is Not Enough (1) wraparound (1)