Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Summer School for My Special 5th grader!

I thought today might be a great time to take a moment and update how things have been going with the Free and Appropriate public school education Makala is receiving. I don't have very many good things to say about our public school system and hate to believe that everything has deteriorated so much over my lifetime.

I suppose the best thing I can say is that it is FREE--sort of! The truth of the matter is that I can't believe we pay so many tax dollars and spend so many tax dollars and what I find it the best anyone can come up with?

Either way, I don't want to complain too much right now because it's summer and I will be up to my eyebrows with the schools in a few short weeks...




I am still not sure the Day-Treatment program in the other school district is the right choice for Makala. The greatest concern is the fact that Makala is the only girl with a bunch of behavior problem boys... I really do have a huge problem with this! Especially, after we found the website address of an adult site folded up and hidden in her room...

I do like the teacher for the most part. She does seem to recognize some of Makala's finer skills and recognizes the disability to a better degree than most have in the past. The teachers seems to understand some of the limitations that Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders -- FASD has with Makala's daily function. The teacher has reminded me that Makala WILL NEED to learn how to cope with and manage the Negative Behaviors especially those that boys may use...

Most woman have to learn to deal with the rude and nasty things boys and men have to say or want to do. I suppose giving Makala all these Extra years immersed in sexual harassment can only make her stronger--or pregnant!

The great thing for Makala is that she likes to learn new things academically. She seems to be doing very well with reading and math. A little behind but considering the number of mental health interventions everyone agrees that she isn't have too much trouble learning the important skills. I just wish it was possible to teach her these important skills without the other junk going on in the public schools--and wrose in a Behavior Day Treatment public school!

We are getting ready to start the 5th Grade! Wow! As I have always imagined the next few years are likely to lead to some huge conclusions. The way I see it is that Makala will show and take her own path during the next few years. She will either decide to be a teenager who wants to cause problems--or decide to be a strong leader. I don't believe she will just be a regular kid but, rather difficult or amazing. It just isn't in her nature to be ordinary so I suspect she will be extraordinary for something. My Goal is to help her find a way to do this without it hurting her... That really is the main goal I have as a mother.

Understanding that FASD and the nature of Alcohol-Related Neurodevelopmental Disorders -- ARND means Makala needs a little extra time to mature helps me keep things in perspective. Where I may have expected a certain maturity and understanding to be here at the age of 10 years old, I hold out hope that it might be seen when she is 14!

The Day Treatment programs help to a great degree with the fact that she is always being watched and has therapeutic treatment. But, I wonder how she will ever learn to depend on herself with all of these supports? She will not have behavior guards with her when she starts going out on dates--or leaves for college. If she leaves for college?

There is also the return of the Nagging Voice in the back of my mind that wishes we could try life without medication--again... Just to see? I so hate medicating children and wish that it wasn't part of the job requirement with Makala.

So, for the next few days Makala is at summer school which is a nice transition from our vacation. Marty has been a stinky handful and we are starting to become very concerned with his delays. It seems to always be something in this house!

I have had the post-vacation Blues! Missing my family so much and wishing that nearly my whole life wasn't holidays with in-laws. I can deal with the In-Laws but really wish I had my Mommy closer all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Memories -- Blog Tags

abuse (1) acceptance (3) adoptee (1) Adoption (1) Adoption Committee (1) Adoptive Parent (3) AdoptiveParentsNetwork.com (3) Advocate (4) Alcohol-Related Neurodevelopmental Disorders (ARND) (18) anxiety (2) At Risk (1) Attachment (3) Attachment Disorder (2) Attachment Therapy (AT) (10) Attorney (1) Behaviors (2) Bill of Rights for Children's Mental Health Disorders and their Families (1) birth mom (5) boundaries (4) Case Worker (3) Child Identification (1) Child Rights (1) Christian (1) Christmas 2008 (1) communication (1) consequences (4) Contact (1) DHS (4) diagnosis (4) Disruption (2) Dissolution (1) divorce (3) documentation (1) domestic violence (3) door alarm (2) DSM IV (1) eating disorders (1) employment (2) Family (2) family preservation (2) FASD Resource (2) Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders (FASD) (24) foster family (3) Foster Home (3) Fund Raisers (2) Funding (1) goodbye (2) grief (3) home (3) Home Study (1) honeymoon (2) impulsive behaviors (3) Individual Education Plan (IEP) (15) loss (2) Marty (4) Medicaid (1) medication (6) mental health (4) mental health services (2) Missing Children (2) Mt Hood Oregon (2) Nancy Thomas (1) negative attention (3) Neurobiology (1) Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) (2) oxytocin (1) Parent Advocate (2) Parental Rights (1) parenting (4) police (2) Post Adoption Family Therapy (1) Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) (1) processing (3) propaganda (2) RAD Cult (6) RAD Mom (7) RAD Research (2) Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD) (23) Research (8) Residential Treatment Center (1) Residential Treatment Center (RTC) (3) Resource (9) Respite (1) Safety (1) School (10) Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) (1) secondary behavior (1) Services (1) sexualized behaviors (4) short term memory (1) social (2) special education (7) Special Needs (2) Statewide Action for Family Empowerment (SAFE) (1) stealing (1) symptoms (2) tantrums and rages (4) Termination of Parental Rights (TPR) (1) The Brain (2) therapist (4) time outs (4) transition (8) Triangulation (1) Trust (1) Understanding Attachment (1) Understanding FASD (6) vacation (6) violence (2) Washington (2) website (9) When Love Is Not Enough (1) wraparound (1)