Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Thanksgiving Eve

I am pretty sure this is the 30th year I have made all or some part of the Thanksgiving feast for my family. I am fairly certain the majority of these feasts have been held at my dining table. I was taught well--by my mother--how to pull it off in style and with grace.

It's the day of the year--I break all the rules in Healthy Cooking. I think I must have 10 pounds of butter invested in the feast, here and there and everywhere. There are two ways to cook, healthy and Never Forget how good it tasted... Thanksgiving is the day I like it to be all about tasting good! Less would be less and to me that's not what Thanksgiving is about. I love to pull out the recipes my Great Grandmother used back in the day no one knew about heart disease or obesity. I am sure she did not cook this way, every night which might be why she took the time to Type the recipes on 3x5 index cards, a task that was far more difficult then writing a blog post.

I am not a wealthy woman, but when it comes to cooking the FEAST, I take no short cuts. I may not be able to afford all the glitzy and flashy toys or bling-bling my children might desire, and I will Never Ever give money or gift cards for Christmas.... but, I can cook a feast that my children will never forget and cause them to have a desire to take one day a year and be Thankful we can take one day to Feast!

I believe in healthy eating, healthy lifestyles and good clean living. But, when it comes to Thanksgiving Dinner I simply ask myself, "Would this be better with Butter and Cream?" or "Perhaps some Bacon would make this the bomb!" Real, feast food is the Point here--I have the entire rest of the year to Think and Cook Healthy and one day a year, I can honor the past, and cook like my Great Grandmother did for the hardworking members of the generations before me.

So, now it is time for me to go ADD some Sugar to my homemade Applesauce, because it is just a little better that way and it will taste so good next to the Turkey and Dressing... with a Buttered Roll and some Candied Yams....yummy.... 




No comments:

Post a Comment

New Memories -- Blog Tags

abuse (1) acceptance (3) adoptee (1) Adoption (1) Adoption Committee (1) Adoptive Parent (3) AdoptiveParentsNetwork.com (2) Advocate (4) Alcohol-Related Neurodevelopmental Disorders (ARND) (18) anxiety (2) At Risk (1) Attachment (3) Attachment Disorder (2) Attachment Therapy (AT) (10) Attorney (1) Behaviors (2) Bill of Rights for Children's Mental Health Disorders and their Families (1) birth mom (5) boundaries (4) Case Worker (3) Child Identification (1) Child Rights (1) Christian (1) Christmas 2008 (1) communication (1) consequences (4) Contact (1) DHS (4) diagnosis (4) Disruption (2) Dissolution (1) divorce (3) documentation (1) domestic violence (3) door alarm (2) DSM IV (1) eating disorders (1) employment (2) Family (2) family preservation (2) FASD Resource (2) Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders (FASD) (24) foster family (3) Foster Home (3) Fund Raisers (2) Funding (1) goodbye (2) grief (3) home (3) Home Study (1) honeymoon (2) impulsive behaviors (3) Individual Education Plan (IEP) (15) loss (2) Marty (4) Medicaid (1) medication (6) mental health (4) mental health services (2) Missing Children (2) Mt Hood Oregon (2) Nancy Thomas (1) negative attention (3) Neurobiology (1) Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) (2) oxytocin (1) Parent Advocate (2) Parental Rights (1) parenting (4) police (2) Post Adoption Family Therapy (1) Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) (1) processing (3) propaganda (2) RAD Cult (6) RAD Mom (7) RAD Research (2) Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD) (23) Research (8) Residential Treatment Center (1) Residential Treatment Center (RTC) (3) Resource (9) Respite (1) Safety (1) School (10) Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) (1) secondary behavior (1) Services (1) sexualized behaviors (4) short term memory (1) social (2) special education (7) Special Needs (2) Statewide Action for Family Empowerment (SAFE) (1) stealing (1) symptoms (2) tantrums and rages (4) Termination of Parental Rights (TPR) (1) The Brain (2) therapist (4) time outs (4) transition (8) Triangulation (1) Trust (1) Understanding Attachment (1) Understanding FASD (6) vacation (6) violence (2) Washington (2) website (8) When Love Is Not Enough (1) wraparound (1)