Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Now that we have the "Why" matter Settled

Some people have asked me why I would bother to finish my college degree at the age of 52? While many of my cohorts plan for retirement and the "golden years" why would I be planning my career? From all outward appearances, I survived to this point in my life without my Bachelor of Science in anything. And, it remains to be seen if two-years of college life during my 50s will result in any amazing change in my circumstances.

Why, did I go back to school and finish my degree?

  • I was in a position in life that I could finish classes, study, and be at home with my children.
  • I was half-way there because of the college credits I have earned along my way in life. I like to finish the things I start.
  • My education and life experience are the only things that can't be taken away from me. I guess unless I experience dementia or Alzheimer in my oldest age.
  • To set a good example for my younger children, since my older children have already finished college.
  • Because, a few people in my past life have told me I couldn't do it, or that I was somehow not intelligent, or invalidated my wisdom because I didn't have credentials. 
Those were my personal reasons for returning to college and completing my degree at the age of 52. The real question is what do I plan to do with my college degree now?

  • I would like to find a "career" day-job so I can feather my retirement a little more.
  • I understand there may be unconscious age discrimination out there--in the working world. I might consider taking a few more classes for a post-bach in Gerontology. After 32 years mothering, older people might be a nice change.
  • Most of all--I have the qualifications to research and write on a New Level. My future will include more free-time to work on a variety of projects and advocacy issues.
  • I can network with professionals on a whole new level, I am not just another mother with a story to tell. 
  • I will be able to use my "full participation" ethnographic research and write creative nonfiction the way I want to write creative nonfiction.
I am looking forward to the Next Goals, Projects and Adventures that make New Memories in my Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Memories -- Blog Tags

abuse (1) acceptance (3) adoptee (1) Adoption (1) Adoption Committee (1) Adoptive Parent (3) AdoptiveParentsNetwork.com (3) Advocate (4) Alcohol-Related Neurodevelopmental Disorders (ARND) (18) anxiety (2) At Risk (1) Attachment (3) Attachment Disorder (2) Attachment Therapy (AT) (10) Attorney (1) Behaviors (2) Bill of Rights for Children's Mental Health Disorders and their Families (1) birth mom (5) boundaries (4) Case Worker (3) Child Identification (1) Child Rights (1) Christian (1) Christmas 2008 (1) communication (1) consequences (4) Contact (1) DHS (4) diagnosis (4) Disruption (2) Dissolution (1) divorce (3) documentation (1) domestic violence (3) door alarm (2) DSM IV (1) eating disorders (1) employment (2) Family (2) family preservation (2) FASD Resource (2) Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders (FASD) (24) foster family (3) Foster Home (3) Fund Raisers (2) Funding (1) goodbye (2) grief (3) home (3) Home Study (1) honeymoon (2) impulsive behaviors (3) Individual Education Plan (IEP) (15) loss (2) Marty (4) Medicaid (1) medication (6) mental health (4) mental health services (2) Missing Children (2) Mt Hood Oregon (2) Nancy Thomas (1) negative attention (3) Neurobiology (1) Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) (2) oxytocin (1) Parent Advocate (2) Parental Rights (1) parenting (4) police (2) Post Adoption Family Therapy (1) Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) (1) processing (3) propaganda (2) RAD Cult (6) RAD Mom (7) RAD Research (2) Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD) (23) Research (8) Residential Treatment Center (1) Residential Treatment Center (RTC) (3) Resource (9) Respite (1) Safety (1) School (10) Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) (1) secondary behavior (1) Services (1) sexualized behaviors (4) short term memory (1) social (2) special education (7) Special Needs (2) Statewide Action for Family Empowerment (SAFE) (1) stealing (1) symptoms (2) tantrums and rages (4) Termination of Parental Rights (TPR) (1) The Brain (2) therapist (4) time outs (4) transition (8) Triangulation (1) Trust (1) Understanding Attachment (1) Understanding FASD (6) vacation (6) violence (2) Washington (2) website (9) When Love Is Not Enough (1) wraparound (1)