Why, did I go back to school and finish my degree?
- I was in a position in life that I could finish classes, study, and be at home with my children.
- I was half-way there because of the college credits I have earned along my way in life. I like to finish the things I start.
- My education and life experience are the only things that can't be taken away from me. I guess unless I experience dementia or Alzheimer in my oldest age.
- To set a good example for my younger children, since my older children have already finished college.
- Because, a few people in my past life have told me I couldn't do it, or that I was somehow not intelligent, or invalidated my wisdom because I didn't have credentials.
Those were my personal reasons for returning to college and completing my degree at the age of 52. The real question is what do I plan to do with my college degree now?
- I would like to find a "career" day-job so I can feather my retirement a little more.
- I understand there may be unconscious age discrimination out there--in the working world. I might consider taking a few more classes for a post-bach in Gerontology. After 32 years mothering, older people might be a nice change.
- Most of all--I have the qualifications to research and write on a New Level. My future will include more free-time to work on a variety of projects and advocacy issues.
- I can network with professionals on a whole new level, I am not just another mother with a story to tell.
- I will be able to use my "full participation" ethnographic research and write creative nonfiction the way I want to write creative nonfiction.
I am looking forward to the Next Goals, Projects and Adventures that make New Memories in my Life.