Sunday, July 02, 2017

Worry, Not.

  Sometimes, I cannot believe this blog is fourteen and a half years old! That means my new journey, has become a long road. As much as I absolutely never expected some of the huge twists and turns on my way to this point, I also accept reality and feel a peace of wisdom I would never have known otherwise.

  When I started writing here, I had a vision of the story I wanted to tell. I felt strong, ready and able to make life happen in a stable healthy way. I remember when I took a little walk that night in the hotel in Medford during the "transition" of my five-year-old daughter and one-year-old, son, I met the day before, would forever change everything about my future. And it did.

  "What does not kill you, makes you stronger." 

  Or, so the saying goes. I can reflect back on my New Memories with the peace of mind to know I have always made the best decisions at the time I made the choice. Always. Even in the times, I made my less than wise choices, my decisions to do so were right at the time. 

  I also have another motto for life: "Nothing is set in Stone."

  Or as I have accepted this part of myself, I always reserve the right to make a new decision.

  I used to worry more. I used to live in a constant state of anxiety. I used to stay awake half the night thinking, reading, and praying till nearly dawn, sometimes. Thankfully, several years ago I managed to give that crap up. One day, my memoir may include more of the juicy details, for now, however, it is enough to say, I understand twists and turns are just a part of the game.

  It is enough to say, that about seven years ago, I chose to change the way I viewed the world and radically accepted reality, and it has and is making all the difference in my life. And hopefully, in the way, I am as a mother, woman, person in this one life I have to live.

  Sometime during 2010, I had the great opportunity to participate in therapy that changed my life completely. Dialectical Behavioral Therapy, DBT. At the same time Makaylah spent a year away in residential treatment. We both overcame a lot of our issues and that made all the difference.



Seven years ago I started with DBT and that made all the difference today, I continue to use my skills and have discovered Leo is motivating and interesting... And the Journey continues.





No comments:

Post a Comment

New Memories -- Blog Tags

abuse (1) acceptance (3) adoptee (1) Adoption (1) Adoption Committee (1) Adoptive Parent (3) AdoptiveParentsNetwork.com (2) Advocate (4) Alcohol-Related Neurodevelopmental Disorders (ARND) (18) anxiety (2) At Risk (1) Attachment (3) Attachment Disorder (2) Attachment Therapy (AT) (10) Attorney (1) Behaviors (2) Bill of Rights for Children's Mental Health Disorders and their Families (1) birth mom (5) boundaries (4) Case Worker (3) Child Identification (1) Child Rights (1) Christian (1) Christmas 2008 (1) communication (1) consequences (4) Contact (1) DHS (4) diagnosis (4) Disruption (2) Dissolution (1) divorce (3) documentation (1) domestic violence (3) door alarm (2) DSM IV (1) eating disorders (1) employment (2) Family (2) family preservation (2) FASD Resource (2) Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders (FASD) (24) foster family (3) Foster Home (3) Fund Raisers (2) Funding (1) goodbye (2) grief (3) home (3) Home Study (1) honeymoon (2) impulsive behaviors (3) Individual Education Plan (IEP) (15) loss (2) Marty (4) Medicaid (1) medication (6) mental health (4) mental health services (2) Missing Children (2) Mt Hood Oregon (2) Nancy Thomas (1) negative attention (3) Neurobiology (1) Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) (2) oxytocin (1) Parent Advocate (2) Parental Rights (1) parenting (4) police (2) Post Adoption Family Therapy (1) Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) (1) processing (3) propaganda (2) RAD Cult (6) RAD Mom (7) RAD Research (2) Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD) (23) Research (8) Residential Treatment Center (1) Residential Treatment Center (RTC) (3) Resource (9) Respite (1) Safety (1) School (10) Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) (1) secondary behavior (1) Services (1) sexualized behaviors (4) short term memory (1) social (2) special education (7) Special Needs (2) Statewide Action for Family Empowerment (SAFE) (1) stealing (1) symptoms (2) tantrums and rages (4) Termination of Parental Rights (TPR) (1) The Brain (2) therapist (4) time outs (4) transition (8) Triangulation (1) Trust (1) Understanding Attachment (1) Understanding FASD (6) vacation (6) violence (2) Washington (2) website (8) When Love Is Not Enough (1) wraparound (1)